Monday, November 9, 2015

Saying goodbye to 27

"With age comes wisdom."

And in my advanced (kidding) age of 28 this is what I know of wisdom: Wisdom is knowing what you don't know. Wisdom is admitting to yourself and others you don't have all the answers. Wisdom is living freely in this knowledge, not letting the truth of it weigh you down.

Wisdom is knowing that each of the following statements is true.

27 was a good year. 27 was a hard year. 27 was a fun year. 27 was a frustrating year. 27 was an adventurous year. 27 was a complete year.

I shared in my last post about my year of unexpected travel and how exciting that has been for me, but this is more about the things I've learned that has made this year and this age more than I dreamed it could be.

I was not perfect and my record in this year is not spotless. I placed distance in relationships that I shouldn't have. I deceived others. I sinned (more than once...). I strayed. I questioned my faith. I spent significant time believing God wouldn't take care of me, wasn't concerned with my happiness, and didn't care about my sadness. My bad. And yet, I am forgiven. For all of it.

However, what made this year so good was I chose faith more often than fear. Even in periods of unbelief I chose to trust that by stepping into the great unknown God would not only protect and guide me, but also always be with me. That saying no to average things meant saying yes to better things.

I met people I never would have met otherwise. I made myself available to others' needs. My limits were stretched, my strength tested. My dependence on the temporal things of this world has not disappeared, but it has lessened as my focus on the eternal becomes greater. My baggage still exists, but the load is lighter. 

I don't know what 28 holds, and I don't want it to be a repeat of this year or any year past, but I do hope and pray I continue to grow in wisdom, love big, fear less, trust more, and explore the unknown.
  
And with two years left of my 20s I plan on squeezing as much out of them as I can before conquering my 30s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment